I wanted to put the final closure on our failed attempt to adopt a little girl named Agnes from Uganda Africa. Your support and prayers have meant so much to us over the past month, so I wanted to tell what finally happened. After the board of directors changed their minds, we left a message asking them to reconsider. They told us they were no longer assisting in adoptions. We waited a week and still felt compelled to fight for this child. We wrote an email last weekend to several key people explaining our situation and requesting that they relinquish guardianship to us along with all paperwork and we told them that we would take care of all other details. Three days later, one of the workers called me and informed me that all of a sudden Agnes has a sister and if we wanted Agnes, we had to take both girls. We talked for a while and I told her we would get back with her the next day. Drew and I felt like we needed a few days to really pray and consider all of this as we were in complete shock from that phone call!! The next day I wrote the lady telling her that we were still praying and considering things and that we needed a few days. An hour later, I got a phone call and for 10 minutes listened to a woman try to convince me that I was telling her we weren't a good match for these children, on and on and on about how "unfitting" we were. When I did not respond in frustration and kept telling her the same thing, she finally confessed that the organization was being investigated for child trafficking. And that they were no longer allowed to do adoptions. THE TRUTH CAME OUT! I had heard of this possibility and had been advised to ask for a few days to see how they responded. What we determined is that this organization saw an easy way to make some fast money and they would have involved us in a situation that in the eyes of the Ugandan government, would have been viewed as trafficking. We had a closing email where she again tried to accuse us of saying things and we responded with an email back "correcting" her conclusions. So, we grieve that this child or children cannot be brought home. We are angry over the corruption that keeps innocent children from having families. But we praise God for His protection over our family- protection from deception, possible financial ruin and protection from illegal activities. We praise God for His wisdom and for shutting the door in a way that was completely out of our control. We thank God for the amazing support and acceptance of this child from our families and dear friends. We prayed all along simply that God would prevail. And even though there is an emptiness to our guest room now, we rest knowing that God knows the whole situation in ways we probably will never know. And we ask that as Agnes comes across your minds in the future, you will say a little prayer for her. We pray God will use her in mighty big ways in Uganda and that He will protect her heart and somehow in the dark nights, she will feel a love she cannot describe.
Monday, March 03, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Wow! I know this has been a difficult journey..but am thanking God that He has made truth known and that He has protected your family! I love your new blog design too!
DeEtte
we will always remember to pray for Agnes - her name is still written in several places beside scripture in my Bible- i won't have a choice but to pray for
her 8-)
so sorry for the hurt you all have experienced. but we are grateful too that God has prevailed, though not in the way we had hoped. you are safe and we pray along with you that God will reveal Himself in beautiful ways to Agnes and pursue her little heart. we love you all!
Lori,
Our God is sovereign over all things and your words show that you trust Him! I'll always remember Agnes's beautiful eyes and pray for her often! I know you will too!
Sonya
I just found your blog and was captured by the first paragraph. I'm so sorry about what your family is going through. We might not know All, but Rest assured that GOD IS IN THE DETAILS! He knows why, and although we may never know...we must trust Him and his leading. I'll be praying for you and your precious family.
((Hugs))
Keisha
another God loving, adoptive mom.
Thank you for sharing. What a heart breaking situation. I will continue to pray for Agnes, and for your family as well.
I just had a thought…
‘Invisible Children’ does great work in Africa. They have a bracelet campaign; the bracelets are hand-made in Uganda and come with a DVD about a particular child. While I think the DVDs may be too heavy for sweet Kalie, I bet a bracelet would be pretty special to her. I have a white and green one, and bought my father a red one for Father’s Day last year.
Here is the link: http://www.invisiblechildren.com/theMission/Bracelet_Campaign
It doesn't seem to be showing the full link. Sorry!
I have the link posted on a sidebar on my blog.
Post a Comment