CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

I Know A Love

In the dark and lonely hours, I listen for your voice to calm my fears. As I stare into the quietness, My heart beating alone is all I hear. But I know that you are near me. Even when I cannot hear you. We are never far apart, You are here within my heart. And the love that you have given, Is all I'll ever need to make it through. I put my hope and trust in You. In the times of endless questions, There is only one truth I need to know. That its your love that surrounds me. A love that will not ever let me go. And I know that you are faithful. When in human eyes its hopeless. So I cling to you alone. And you make your presence known. And so tenderly you hold me. You remind me that this love I've found is true. I will trust alone in you. I know a love, that loves beyond all limits. I know a God, whose arm is strong to save. I know a grace whose power is all sufficient. And that the blood of Christ can wash away each stain. I know a love. So when the darkness comes. It won't overwhelm my soul. My hope is in my God and this I know. I know a love, that loves beyond all limits. I know a God, whose arm is strong to save. I know a grace whose power is all sufficient. And that the blood of Christ can wash away each stain. And there is a God who never changes. And there is a love, faithful and true. I know the power of His spirit works within me. And there is nothing that my God cannot do. I know a love.
I know a love....

I wish I knew exactly how to start what I need to write. I have started this post 50 times hoping it will all just flow, and it isn't. So, I don't know what I am about to say. So, bear with me as my thoughts and the words I write may be jumbled. Karlee has been officially diagnosed as severe Reactive Attachment Disorder. We underwent 4 hours of evaluations this week along with a 2 hour therapy session this morning. The behaviors we have witnessed are quite serious. For those reading this who are unfamiliar with RAD, it is caused by a trauma- neglect, abandonment, etc. that occurs within the first few weeks of life. Due to this, these children do not develop trust- they actually view the world as bad and themselves as unlovable. And they will do everything they know to keep someone from loving them. What makes RAD so serious is the fact that without intervention these children do not develop a conscious. They have no remorse for anything wrong they do. Because of Karlee's beginnings, she has not attached to us. She does not trust us and does not want to accept our love. For two years we allowed ourselves to believe that she was simply defiant and strong-willed and that we were obviously not successful as her parents. We have felt like failures when it came to raising Karlee. Now, I am not saying we haven't had good moments- we have- this blog is full of them, but the negative far outweighed the positive. We began to look at some possibilities and over the past few months, Karlee's symptoms have not only increased but intensified as well.

We are broken hearted that our little girl - so little feels so much anger and confusion in her little soul. And yet, we are hopeful because now we can move forward. Now, we have a plan. And now, we can begin to heal this little one's sweet heart.

I have pondered and pondered on how personal to get with this. I have decided to pretty much get just that- in hopes that it will be used to encourage someone else and who knows- this "journal" may turn into something more one day, so this is where many thoughts will go. This has become quite a spiritual experience for lack of a better word. But God did something big in my heart two weeks ago. He has given me an outpouring of love for this child - now let me explain. I have loved her since before she was born. And after we got her, I have loved her all the more. But, its been a commitment love, not warm-fuzzy kind of love. I have felt like someone always on guard ready for the attack as I am seen as the enemy. But, two weeks ago, I began to love her like a mommy- I began feeling truly like her mommy- crazy in love with a little girl that God intended from the beginning to be ours. Two weeks ago, I left my house to get Kalie at dance and left early- it had been one more day and I could tell that I wasn't going to make it much longer. Well, before I got out of the driveway I began weeping and screaming in the car- so much pain burried inside all came out at one time! I informed God that I didn't know how we were going to help her and that it just seemed to me that she was a miserable angry child who wanted everyone to be just as miserable. And as if He were sitting there, He said- and how does she see you? I outwardly replied well, as flat, not mean but emotionless. But God, that's not me. This isn't the kind of mommy I am. I love to be a mommy. I love to have fun and cuddle and take care of my girls. She won't let me be that way with her- this isn't the real me. To which he replied, And this isn't the real her." Now, let me stop right here and just assure everyone that these moments do NOT happen frequently. When they do, God knows He has to do something major to get my attention and that what He has to say is serious. I also told him that night in my cries that I had nothing left- I was spent, but that all I wanted was to be able to give her the love I have had bottled up for her. Friday morning, I literally made conscious efforts to not sound so emotionless when I spoke to her. It became easier and easier. God continued to use stories and friends to show me the vitalness of love being the foundation. I can now say, that I love her at her lowest, and truly okay getting nothing in return. I have wanted so much to be able to lay the guard down during the lowest part of Karlee's life and to unselfishlessly love her like only God could do. He has answered my prayers for that. Oh how grateful I am. Many times I am sad to say over the past two years I have questioned God on this. Why? Why ? WHY??? Why a child who will not accept our love when we have so much to give? We fought so hard to get her and just seemed to continue to fight never accomplishing anything. And yet every time, and let me say again- EVERY time, I asked why, I knew that I knew that I KNEW God intended for Karlee to be our daughter. I never could get past that. Now I see. There is truly a God size purpose and plan. He chose our family to help this precious child. Now, I ask WHY??? WHY???? Why would you entrust us with such a task? I wish I could describe how humbled I am. And you know- I am GLAD that this is God-sized, because no one can ever give any praise to anyone except HIM! Now having seen the plan and purpose and getting some specifics in action, I am a mommy with a mission! ha!

I ask that you pray for our families. Their responses and interactions with Karlee have to change for the time being. I know they are hurting as they try to implement these new approaches. Please pray for God to walk with them each step of this as well. We have gotten a tremendous support system in place. These therapist and specialists are so available for us and are truly working at creating a plan that fits our family and will allow Karlee to experience success. We are so thankful for these professionals and for our family and friends that are so kind to call and check on us and walk with us through this. We can not make it without that!

Right now, Karlee will not allow me to rock her. She makes no eye contact with me and makes it very known that she hates for me to hold her, etc. She tells me she doesn't like me and that I am hurting her and that I stink! Drew and I have gotten a lot of humor out of that.

You know, I was thinking the other day. Sometimes God just simply hands you a miracle. Other times, you have to enter a fiery furnace like in Daniel to receive the miracle. And you know, a friend shared with me last night- I bet you remember the fiery furnace miracles much longer. Looking back on my life, that has been so true. We believe we will see a miracle. And just like the 3 men in Daniel, we may have to step in a blazing furnace, but we will come out of it unburned. We will see the miracle. One day, our little girl will say mama and truly know the meaning of it. One day, our little girl will get in my lap and just melt as I rock her. One day, I won't stink....

18 comments:

Anita said...

This post brought me to sobs... When that tree fell on my truck on my day to leave, I told Mike 'it isn't meant for me to go' - he replied, 'it's part of your dream and you can't let this stop you'. Our first day here, we had to tell one person our dream... I described my dream: to use my horses to help others and specifically named Karlee. The 3 ways to develop a relationship (with animals) is: 1. Undemanding time (observing and noting what makes them tick or stop ticking) 2. Create/peak their curosity (give them a reason to be interested in what you might do next - this sets you up as a leader worthy of following) 3. **Strive** to change their attitude (not a given, but a goal)
This is the way top animal trainers IN THE US train all types of animals. Isn't is interesting that these same things are often what we as people are attracted to? 1. Something/one that requires nothing of us - makes you desire to give to them 2. Something/one who peaks our curosity - what will happen next when we are with them? 3. Something/one who brings out the best in us - changes our attitude. We all WANT to be happy - some of us just can't seem to allow ourselves to be that way - writer included. Why do we feel we don't desire it? I'd bet the reasons are many... But there are some people who I find my self feeling safe, intrigued, and happy around - more than others. God will show you how to be what Karlee needs. Keep on trusting... keep on listening... and above all... keep on, keeping on! I love you guys!! A.

Anonymous said...

I will be praying for you. Karlee is such a beautiful little girl on the outside and I'm SURE that beauty goes right down to the bone. God bless you and your family.

Jan

Charity said...

God has certainly put Karlee into your hands for a reason. He knows that the love from you and your family is exactly what she needs!! I will be praying for you! Call if you need anything!

Anonymous said...

THanks for your honesty. I love you and your family! Please keep us updated.

Sonya said...

Lori,

Thank you for sharing! We will keep your family in our prayers.

God bless you,

Sonya

Pandamonium Mom said...

Hi Lori,
Just wanted you to know I'm praying for your sweet Karlee and for the rest of your family too!
DeEtte

Anonymous said...

Just as in Daniel when the men left the furnace, they did not smell of smoke. You will not either. God is Big! He has chosen you to be the tool in healing this beautiful little girl we all love so much. You are in our hearts and in our prayers. We love you. We are here for the long journey.
Laura and Tom

The Wiggintons said...

Psalm 37:5 - "Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him, and He will bring it to pass." Just today at church a sermon was preached on committing. Three times in Psalm 37, God says "do not fret." Too many times we "commit" things to the Lord only to take them back and fret. Drew and Lori, commit Karlee (as well as Kalee and Kate) to the only One who can care for them and love them completely. And don't take them back. Don't fret! I'm glad you wrote that it is a God-sized thing. It is! It is His! And after you commit, trust! He is faithful and you CAN trust Him. It was said today if God knows your need, He is all that needs to know. He is the only One who can do the work! And after you commit and trust, praise Him! Whenever you "fret," begin to praise Him for being the only One who can do His work - the One who will "bring it to pass!" And tell Him that you remember committing these precious girls to Him. God will give such peace and assurance because you can rest in His faithfulness to do His work.

Love you,
Kristy

Anonymous said...

Hey lori! Remember God doesn't give us anything we can't handle. We just have to remember to lay it down at HIS feet.
I often have to remember this myself. Hang in there!
Love,
Em

Cynthia said...

Lori, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family! I am very touched that you shared your pain with us - we will also be there to share in the miracles that will follow!

Cynthia

Anonymous said...

Lori and Drew, My heart aches for you and your family. One thing I know though, that God does miracles. Each of my children went through hard times - hard on me. There was a time that I thought Matt was going to come to no good. Leslie also went through a couple years of getting into trouble, flunking out of school. That is the point in my life that I didn't know of anything to do but get on my knees and pray - and stay out of God's way. Nothing I did on my own worked. Only letting God handle it - and believe me - he had to take me out of the picture -did their lives begin to turn around. Now they seem to be on a more straight path and know what they want to do with their lives. Pray, - Pray hard - what a relief to know that God knows what to do. My hard prayers are with you all. Any support I can offer as family, please feel free to ask. I love you guys, Aunt Barbara

Asher, Esther & Emma's Jie Jie said...

We're praying for your family. Karlee is such a special little girl to have such wonderful, caring and supportive parents!

Hope for Lucy said...

Drew and Lori,

Our God is an awesome God and there is absolutely nothing that is too big for Him! Someone posted that perhaps sometimes a miracle just comes our way and then sometimes we have to go through the fiery furnace to see the miracle. I am reminded of the story of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. Witness Daniel 4:23-25

"And these three men, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, fell down bound into the midst of the burning fiery furnace. Then Nebuchadnezzar, the king was astonished, and rose up in haste and spake "Did not we cast three men bound into the midst of the fire?" They answered and said unto the king, True, o king. He answered and said "Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God."

Praise God that even though He never promised us there would be no fiery furnaces, He did promise us that He would never forsake us. He was in that fire with Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego and He is in this fire with you and Karlee. Take His hand, hold on, and never, ever let go. You are Karlee's mommy and daddy, not just her Mom and Dad, and this is God's will for you.

For the third time this week (and it's only Monday), the following verses come to mind:

"Rejoice evermore; pray without ceasing; in every thing give thanks, for this is the will of God for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Please know that we love you all and will do anything to help. Just let us know when you need us and we'll be there.

Anonymous said...

I can vividly remember you sharing God's faithfulness and provision throughout Karlee's adoption process as we walked many loops around Bay Tree Way. :) It WAS and STILL IS so clear that God has placed Karlee in your family for a very special reason. It is so overwhelmingly awesome to think that God loves her so much He would bring her to another continent and place her within a loving Christian family through which He would work to bring healing into her life. We will be praying for you during this difficult time and praising God with you when He sees you through!

Annie said...

Lori, I will be praying for you and your family and especially for Karlee. Karlee is truly blessed to have a Mommy who loves God as much as you do. I know that he will work through you, and he is a God of healing.

Luke 4: 18The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

Angela said...

Lori, I am so sorry to hear about Karlee's diagnosis. I will be thinking of you and your family as you work to find a way into her heart. Angela

Tammy said...

Oh, Lori, my heart goes out to you and your family. Thank you for sharing your life with us. I will keep you all in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

oh lori,
it hurts my heart to read what you and karlee are going through right now. you are such an incredible mom- never doubt that . I know you are providing her with security, unconditional love, and such a wonderful environment for healing. She was meant to be yours!!! I know that God will bring you through this in such a beautiful way.

I love you friend!
tonya