I heard someone say one time that a scrapbook was your life story with all the bad left out. Being a scrapbooker, I have found that to be true many times- we capture the good times and happy moments and remember those. And while I think that is good, because I believe that a scrapbook should be used to leave a legacy and be an encouragement- a book of love, I also think I am guilty of not capturing all of God's miracles in the magnitude that I should- and that is truly the legacy I want to leave. That is the story I want to tell. So, as this blog has become a journal and online "scrapbook" of the life of my family, I need to share some thoughts in hopes that either myself or someone I don't even know will come up on this one day and see a miracle of God- His mighty hand and loving heart at work.
Today is the 21 month anniversary of Karlee's gotcha day. I stand amazed at how much she has changed and grown in this amount of time. She is so vivacious for life, has a laugh that infiltrates an entire room and a smile that makes any dark cloud disappear. She talks constantly- and I mean constantly (ha!) and loves her family. Karlee also struggles greatly with change. And rightly so. She started preschool and was promoted in Sunday school all very close together and while you would not know how deep her struggles go for the most part at those places, home is a different story. Now, I won't go into details, but lets just say the past few weeks our home has felt like a battleground. Now that is not to say that we haven't had wonderful moments during this time, but I have felt frustrated, helpless at times and lost as I don't know the best way to help her and train her all at the same time.
Today is also the 5 month anniversary of Kate's gotcha day. Kate has just seemed to have always been in our family. Her mischievious grins and big kisses continue to warm our hearts and bring many laughs in our home. She knows her mommy and daddy and loves her big sisters (sometimes loves to pick on them as well- ha!) But they all 3 are simply a team. You don't mess with any of them- they are all very protective of each other in their own ways and it is such a blessing. Kate fears sleep. She does everything she can to not fall asleep. She struggles with night terrors as do many adoptive children frequently. We are also getting ready to begin therapy for Kate- she isn't talking much and she doesn't chew. And when I say, doesn't chew, she does not know how to chew her food. She is frustrated at not being able to communicate with us. We are anxious to get her the help she needs in these areas.
I'll be the first to admit, I fuss to God about stuff but I have so humbly learned that God can handle my gripes because it has absolutely no affect on who He is. Regardless of how I feel, He is still God and He is still on the throne. So, I am pretty honest with feelings I have when I talk to Him. And every time, in the midst of all the confusion and chaos, He hands me a little miracle like the picture below. And I pray that I never forget all the "stuff" that went around me walking in on that picture. May it never become just a cute picture of two of our children. But I pray it always stays fresh as a little ray of sunshine from my Father.
Now, I do not share any of this in search of pity- although, your prayers would be treasured. There are so many adoptive families that face much worse each day. And we tend to keep all of that inside in our plight to simply be a "normal" family. I share this as more of a reminder to me that God is working all the time. And that His promises are real. And He is good for those promises He has made. It is a reminder for me to not lose heart and that in due time, we shall reap a harvest if we do not give up.
I am posting a few more pictures from the weekend. God is good all the time! 
(The doorbell rang and I answered it) "I am QUICK huh, mommy?!?
Watercoloring is so fun outside on these cooler mornings!
These two actually had some great playtimes- they were using the doll changing table as an eating table.
"Hey- while mommy changes that load of laundry lets sit like this at the top of the stairs to scare her!"
Today, we met Aunt Laura and Sarah and Aunt Connie and Lily Grace here and went to the park. And let me just say that I thought having two Asian children drew attention- we were asked several times if they were quadruplets!! It was hilarious! Drew has been out of town for a few days and Laura has had a rough week with INS and Connie has to start back to work tomorrow- we mamas needed some hugs! This was Lily Grace's first time on the swings and she LOVED them! She just laughed with delight and did not like it all when it was time to go!
Lily Grace, Kate, Karlee swinging on the pole. Sarah says- yall are crazy!!
"Well, okay- if you can't beat em- join em!!"
Kalie went to Camp McDowell this weekend. She got home just as we went to the park, so she and Eloise joined us. Kalie missed Ashleigh!!
Karlee and Kate went to Sunday School today with NO TEARS!! Way to go girls! Don't they look absolutely beautiful?!?!?!?
And no photo shoot is complete without some of Karlee's silly faces!
So, in the midst of my kitchen table being colored on, my van seat being drawn on, the tee-tee puddle on the floor, Kate falling half way down the stairs and other typical two year old (times two) adventures of the week, I will hold on to the memories of these photographs, for they are good.
10 comments:
GREAT POST LORI!
Sonya
Thank you for such a great post! A real post!I understand all to well some of the issues that you are dealing with. We have our daily struggles with Ana Claire. I hope that one day she can let go of some of her fears.
Lori,
Whenever I need an uplifting Word, I always turn to Ephesians, especially Chapter 2. Paul was given an amazing ability by God to let us know how much He loves us. His writings are essentially love letters to us from God. Especially in Ephesians.
God has great love for us ...
"But because of His great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions - it is by grace you have been saved. And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with Him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, in order that in the coming ages He might show the incomparable riches of His grace, expressed in His kindness to us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:4-7
And has prepared good works for us ...
"For it is by grace you have been saved through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is a gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God has prepared in advance for us to do." Ephesians 2:8-10
You and Drew have been such a blessing to our family and so very helpful. Thank you for your kindness and for blazing the path for the rest of us. And thanks for sharing things that, while painful, may be of significant help for someone else. Connie and Lily Grace enjoyed their day in Florence - thanks for the support. I hope that one day we are able to return the favor - call any time.
Love,
Jerry, Connie, Austin, and Lily Grace
PS. I'm sorry Smokey didn't get to howl this weekend.
Thanks for being so transparent. Life with children is definitely eventful to say the least. Right now I only know through the eyes of friends and family. Sometimes I am overwhelmed knowing that our life is about to be turned upside down and not just for a short time but for a lifetime! WOW! You are right to say that there's both good and bad, but all of it is worth it - for the lessons you teach and for the lessons you learn. God teaches the greatest and sometimes hardest lessons in our greatest weakness and insufficiencies. Isn't He good? Through the entire time we have tried to add to our family and God kept saying wait, I would not trade any of that for the way I see Him now. And the greatest thing is that He keep showing me more and more about Him now that He has said "it's getting closer." He gives and takes away; blessed be the Name of the Lord.
Love you,
Kristy
love this post lori! what a blessing our children are and how much they teach us about Him and His faithfulness.
Thanks for sharing.......
Leah
dd Gracen
Lori,
you are so right about the changes being so hard. We are having a hard time with our Guizhou girl Luci, home now for almost 13 months. We've had two Sunday school changes this month alone, and living in this apartment, she is wondering when we are going back to our "real" house--and we've been here 3 months! It will be hard again when we finally get into our new house.
Bet you didn't know what an outporing of heartfelt comments you'd get on this post. I feel like our blog is also our scrapbook. There's mostly good news in that, but my family can probably read between the lines and see some "real" in there, too. Have you started your girls' life books yet? That intimidates the fire out of me.
susan, Luci's momma
Lori,
Thank you for that post! I hate to say it this way - but it is nice to know others go through the same things we go through. We are not alone. Keegan has her struggles and you wonder how much of it is being almost 2 and how much of it is being abandoned and living in an orphanage! But I know Keegan was designed to be ours before she was even conceived and that God has our lives in His hands and He and only He can handle this life of ours! I will definitely add your family to my prayers! I would love to ask the same in return!
Cynthia in Lexington
mommy to Keegan
going back for Romy
Lori and Drew,
It is such a blessing that God surrounds us with His Grace and His Love. Too often we want to hide behind that wall call "perfection" so that no one knows what is going on in our lives. As a scrapbooker, it is habit to only show the good things in life. When we realize that God uses every detail in our lives for His plan, we also know that means reaching out to others. In sharing our daily walk (good and bad) we are able to witness to others. I am truly blessed that I have friends who listen to me and hug me without passing judgment. It was such a big help to get together Sunday and to feel supported by those who care the most about me and my family. I know that I am truly the one being blessed by adoption.
Hugs! Laura, Tom, Ashleigh, Sarah, and Little Will (waiting to come home)
what an awesome post lori! those sweet girls are so blessed to have you as their mommy! and i am so blessed by your friendship! love you! -s
I always love reading your blog. You are a true testament and remind me of all the good God has done in our life.
Beautiful pictures!
Post a Comment