Drew's grandma is dancing or roller skating on golden streets this morning. Last night, around 11:15 pm, she passed away. This precious lady has left a legacy and example of loving to live! Drew has memories of her teaching him how to skate, she picked up snow-skiing in her late 60's- and was GOOD!! I think she is best known for her dancing shoes. Let me back up. Drew's grandpa passed away when he was a little boy. Grandma, later decided to take up ballroom dancing and became semi-pro. While at the Fred Astaire dance studio, she met a man, a widower who shared her same love for dance. They became dance partners and later became life partners. Ray stole the hearts of Drew's family and has truly been "Grandpa Ray." While Drew and I were dating, they even taught us how to ballroom dance. She made the best dishes and especially these lace cookies- they are paper thin and I still do not know how she made them!! Grandma had blue eyes that were captivating and piercing and a smile that could melt away any sad day.
Many years ago, Grandma fought the fight of cancer and won! For the past 5 years, she has had to fight the battle of dementia. We watched as pieces of her slowly slipped away. During these years, Ray has taken such excellent care of her. Almost 2 months ago, he finally had to put her in an assisted living facility. On Wednesday, May 30, she fell and never woke up. Last night, she let go and today is having a party!! I know she is dancing!!
Surrounded by Your glory,
What will my heart feel?
Will I DANCE for You Jesus
or in awe of You be still?
Will I stand in Your presence?
To my knees will I fall?
Will I sing hallelujah?
Or be able to speak at all?
I can only imagine!!
So, Grandma, we love you. Thank you for being such an awesome lady. And we will see you again one day.
Friday, June 08, 2007
Grandma "Billie" Azbell
Posted by drew and lori at 7:11 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
So sorry to hear about Drew's grandmother. My grandfather suffered dementia years before he died. It was so sad seeing pieces of him slip away. SO I feel your pain. She sounds like a wonderful lady and how blessed you were to have her for those years.
On a lighter note, I laughed outloud seeing Drew's fainting picture!
Jan
Lori, thank you for your beautiful expression of Grandma's life and love. She was truly a special woman in my heart and life.
love
CC
Lori & Drew,
We are so sorry for your loss but now that she is not limited by gravity, she is literally, dancin' to the heavens! Love, Aunt Brenda & Ken
Lori and Drew, I am so sorry to hear about Drews grandmother. It sounds like she was an awesome wonderful lady. Our prayers are with you and your family during this time.
Lori, I am so sorry to hear about Drew's grandma, i am so glad to hear that she is dancing with Jesus!! Our hearts go out to you. We love you. melissa
Post a Comment