In a little cocoon, a miracle awaits....
There she is!!
Karlee's on the left, Kalie's bottom right. See how wet and wrinkly their wings are?
Karlee and Kate watch and wait for Baby Sam (that's what Karlee named her butterfly)
Karlee singing (read story below)
Karlee is such a good mommy to her Baby Sam Butterfly.
Kalie's butterfly was Ashley. Kalie also got to see it hatch this morning.
Kalie holding Ashley before letting her go
Karlee and Kalie hold their butterflies and watch them fly away.

My dad had ordered some chrysallie (however you spell that word- plural for the stage of caterpillars in a cocoon) and let us have 3. The girls named them Ashley (Kalie), Baby Sam (Karlee) and Kate (Kate). We had been watching them for several days as they were hanging from my bookshelf in my study. Yesterday, Kalie realized one was empty and that we had a butterfly on the loose! Kate's emerged first and was desparately wanting out by the time we got her. So, I failed to get any pictures and Kate wouldn't hold it anyway, but she did enjoy watching it fly away. This morning, Kalie noticed that the other two looked different so we spent the morning eating breakfast in the study, getting ready in the study- Kalie was not going to miss the moment. All of a sudden, that cocoon broke loose and out came a wrinkly but beautiful butterfly. We got her a stick from a tree limb so she could hang on it while her wings dried. It was absolutely amazing. Then, after Drew and Kalie left for school, Karlee wanted to see hers. I was so afraid that we were going to miss it hatching. Well, we had the most precious morning I think I can ever remember. Karlee, Kate and I sat down in the study watching that butterfly. They ate breakfast and watched it the whole time. We raced upstairs to get their clothes on and came right back down so they could keep watching it. While Karlee sat there, she sang little songs that she made up as she sang and then sang Jesus Loves Me. She talked to Baby Sam saying in the sweetest little voice, "It's okay Sam. Mommy's here. You're okay. We are all a family. You're okay." And then she would just watch. I ran upstairs to throw on some makeup as it was getting closer to needing to walk out the door and I heard Karlee say, "MOMMY... OOOHHH OOOOOOOOOHHHHHH!!!!" As I ran back into the room, she was BEAMING and her eyes were the size of saucers and there was Baby Sam! She was so proud! She kept talking about how beautiful HER butterfly was. This evening after lots of holding them carefully, we let them go. Karlee said, Mommy, I want to keep Sam here. And I had to explain how God made butterflies to fly. When we went outside, she held out her hand and wiggled her finger and Sam flew away. Karlee smiled and said, I helped her fly!! A few minutes later, Kalie's took off and "soared" up in the air as well. This was such a precious memory to me today. I realized I was sitting in the presence of miracles this morning in more ways than one and that I had truly received a gentle touch from God.
6 comments:
Oh what a precious story! Thank you for sharing. Your girls are beautiful, as were the butterflies.
Love,
Erica
http://www.aaronandericahammond.blogspot.com
Absolutely Beautiful! Glory be to God!
Debra
Mama to Pru and PeiLi
Thank you for sharing that story! What a beautiful experience that you girls had. Watching God's work of life before their eyes.
Karlee has come so far! You made me cry...again!
love you all,
susan w
Did you know that I am the "butterfly lady" at the kid's school? I love Monarchs! I've been trespassing all over fields in Kingsport collecting eggs,taking them to the classrooms and teaching about the life cycle. Isn't it a wonderful miracle! How beautiful!
Great Post!! That is a beautiful story and pictures.
Post a Comment